When you think of fishing, you’re probably envisioning a peaceful outing on a boat. Today, however, more and more people are choosing jet skis over boats for their fishing expeditions. Aside from the lower cost and maintenance, jet skis offer a plethora of advantages that enhance the fishing experience.
Try something new. Check out what’s so great about fishing on a jet ski. See if jet ski fishing is right for you by reading the guide below.
What is jet ski fishing?
Jet ski fishing is exactly what it sounds like. It's fishing, but instead of doing it on a boat, you’re on a jet ski or a personal watercraft (PWC). This is a popular alternative to traditional fishing because it’s more affordable and requires less effort. A jet ski also gives you access to narrower or harder-to-reach fishing spots.
If you’re looking for an easier and more convenient fishing experience, a jet ski is the way to go. You won’t need to bring a whole crew and there’s less cleanup. Launching and docking are also much easier with a jet ski compared to a boat.
Main advantages of jet ski fishing
Here are some of the top reasons why people are trying jet ski fishing:
- Jet skis are cheaper than buying a boat. If you’re hobby fishing, you may not want to spend a whole lot on gear, equipment, and the vessel itself. By buying a jet ski, you’ll be saving on the purchase price and maintenance costs. Jet skis are typically more affordable than most boats and cheaper to maintain.
- Jet skis are easier to use and more flexible. Operating a boat can be trickier because of its size and weight. Because jet skis are much smaller, they have better manoeuvrability. You can also take a jet ski out to various locations, and it can adapt to different fishing styles making it more versatile.
- Jet skis are more convenient to store. Depending on the size, you can store a jet ski pretty much anywhere. You’ll have cheaper storage options as well compared to a boat.
- Jet skis have good fuel economy. Jet skis require less fuel than boats. The less fuel your vessel needs the more you save on overall costs and the better it is for the environment.
- Preparing a jet ski is not time-consuming. Jet skis are easier and faster to launch or dock. This means you can spend less time preparing and more time on the water. Jet skis are faster too so you can move between fishing spots quickly without losing precious time.
If you’re an avid fisher and want to try something new, fishing on a jet ski may be an interesting change. Jet ski fishing is also great for those who’ve never tried fishing at all and want to dip their toes into the activity.
How to prepare for jet ski fishing
For a successful jet ski fishing experience, you need to do your research and know the basics. Here are some things you need to do to get ready for your jet ski fishing expedition:
Find the right jet ski
Not all jet skis are made the same. Some are more appropriate for fishing than others. The trick is knowing which is which. For jet ski fishing, you want something reliable with great fuel economy. The best brands for that are usually Sea-Doo, Yamaha, and Kawasaki. These jet ski manufacturers produce various jet ski makes and models that are great for fishing.
Take note, recreational and performancejet skis are not the most suitable for fishing. These jet skis are typically smaller which isn’t great for hauling your fishing gear, and they’re not as reliable as large touring model jet skis.
Apply for jet ski finance
Once you’ve found the perfect jet ski, it’s time to purchase it and you can do so with a good jet ski loan.See what typeof loan best suits your financial situation.Talk to different lenders to see what they have to offer.
Ifyou want an easier and more convenient way to get a loan, get in touch with Aussie Boat Loans. We can help you find the best jet ski loanquickly and easily. Get a quick quote today or contact us by calling 1300 889 669.
Customise your jet ski for fishing
Jet skis usually need to be modified to add storage for bait, fishing rods, and whatever fish you may catch. The must-have jet ski accessories for fishing include a fishing rod holder, a fishing rack and a cooler. If you want to really upgrade your jet ski, installing a fish finder system and GPS can elevate the whole experience.
Get essential jet ski fishing safety equipment
You should always put safety first when you’re out on the water. Make sure you equip yourself with the right safety gear before going on a jet ski fishing trip. Protective equipment includesa lifejacket, booties, a waterproof torch, a first aid kit, a wetsuit, and head protection.
Know jet ski etiquette
Jet ski etiquette is a set of guidelines every jet skier must know before going on the water. These rules help you and those around you have a fun and safe time. Familiarise yourself with the rules of the water, right of way, and the like so you can have a stress-free jet ski fishing experience.
Choosing the best jet ski fishing spots
Finding the perfect jet ski fishing spot can be tricky. Here are a few tips to help you find the ideal one:
- Find a fishing spot that’s deep enough. Jet skis need at least three feet of water to operate safely. Driving in more shallow waters could damage your vessel.
- Research the local guidelines. If you’re eyeing a potential fishing spot, make sure jet skis fishing is allowed on it first. Do some research and check if you need special permits before you head out.
- Know what type of fishing you want to do. What type of fish do you want to catch? Do you want a more relaxed fishing experience or something more exciting? Ask yourself these questions beforehand to narrow down your options.
- Go on fishing apps. There’s an app for everything, even finding good fishing spots. Go online and check which apps are available in your area and get to fishing.
- Ask the locals. The best way to find a good fishing spot is by asking those in the area. Whether on social media or in person, don’t be afraid to talk to the locals.
Finance your jet ski with Aussie Boat Loans
Get on the water sooner rather than later. Jet ski fishing is a fun and productive way to enjoy the beautiful Australian waters. With the right jet ski, you’ll be filling up your cooler in no time. Aussie Boat Loans is here to help you get the best jet ski loan. Call us today at 1300 889 669 or get a quick quote here.
Is jet ski fishing a popular activity?
Jet ski fishing has steadily grown in popularity in Australia since 2020. More and more fishing enthusiasts are finding themselves with a jet skis because they’re more versatile and affordable.
What are the advantages of using a jet ski for fishing?
Jet skis offer fishing enthusiasts a more affordable option. These vessels are also easier to store, manoeuvre, and operate compared to boats.
Can I customise my jet ski for fishing purposes?
Yes, you must customise your jet ski and fit it with fishing equipment and accessories.
Is jet ski fishing suitable for beginners?
Jet ski fishing is great for beginners because it requires less effort so you can spend more time learning how to fish. Plus, you don’t have to spend loads of time cleaning up.
What fishing equipment do I need to carry on a jet ski?
You must have fishing rod holders, a fishing rack, a cooler, and a GPS/Fish Finder.
Are there any safety considerations specific to jet ski fishing?
The safety precautions for typical jet skiers apply to jet ski fishing, as well. Always wear your safety gear, be aware of those around you on the water, and be alert, especially during bad weather.
How do I find good fishing spots while on a jet ski?
The best way to find a good jet ski fishing spot is by doing your research. Check out local fishing groups and ask about their opinions. Look at the local guidelines and see if you need special permits before you go.
How do I navigate safely and avoid collisions while jet ski fishing?
The best way to avoid collisions while jet ski fishing is by staying alert and keeping your distance. Don’t drive too close to others on the water and make sure the area is clear when you’re fishing.