So, you’re having problems with yourboat’s performance, but buying a new one justseems unreasonable.A great solution to this would be upgrading your outboard motor. This can boost your boat’s performance and improve the power of your vessel.
A lot of boat owners, novices and experienced alike, may not know how to go about upgrading their outboard motor. To help you out, we’ve created this quick but detailed guide on upgrading and financing your boat motor.
Is it time to upgrade your outboard boat motor?
There is no hard and fast rule when upgrading your outboard boat motor. Knowingthe right time to upgrade depends on your specific situation and what type of performance you expect from your boat motor.
There are good rules of thumb that can help guide your decision. If your boat motor fits at least one of the scenarios below, then it may be time for an upgrade:
Your outboard motor is too old...
Usually, outboards last for seven to eight years or 1,500 hours, whichever comes first. The longevity of a boat motor also depends on how it’s maintained and what it’s used for. If you’ve been using your outboard motor extensively through the years, it may be time to swap it for a newer version before it conks out on you.
Your outboard motor is too slow...
If you’re not happy with how fast your boat can go, you should consider upgrading. It’s best to find an outboard motor with better horsepower so you can go at your desired speed.
Your outboard motor isn’t fuel efficient...
When your outboard motor is a fuel guzzler, it may be time to swap it out for something a little more fuel efficient. With a more fuel-efficient boat motor, you can spend more time on the water and less time refueling. Plus, you’ll save a ton on fuel costs too.
What should you consider before repowering your boat?
This essential piece of equipment can make or break your boating or fishing expedition. To successfully repower your boat, you must think about your boat’s performance and what you want out of it. When replacing your boat’s outboard motor, consider the following factors:
- Horsepower –When an outboard motorunderperforms, the typical solution would be to upthe horsepower, but this isn’t always the right choice.Every boat has its own max capacity when it comesto what horsepower it can handle. Getting a boat motor that goes over the maximum limit could be dangerous. Be aware of your boat’s limitations and don’tovercompensate.
- Engine brand –You don’t have to limit yourself to one engine brand for the rest of your boat’s life.Consider the available service, product performance, and warranty coverage. As longas you do your research and keep yourself informed, switching engine brands doesn’t haveto be an issue.
- Number of outboards – More isn’t always better when it comes to outboard motors. Installing more outboards mayjeopardise the boat’s safety as it adds extra weight to the stern. More weight requires more structural support alterations which can be costly. It's best to look at the type of outboards available and find one that can fit your needs without adding extra outboards.
- Boat instruments – Your boat instruments should match your outboard motor. If you’re considering a boat motor upgrade, it’s a good idea to update your instruments too. Using old instruments with a new motor may hinder the performance.The best way to get the most out of your boat is by having everything on it performing atits best.
- Battery system – When upgrading your outboard motor and instruments, don’t forget about the battery system. You may need a more robust power systemif you upgradewith a more high-tech outboard.
How do you finance an outboard upgrade?
A lot of people don’t realise that they can finance their outboard motor through a loan. A boat engine loan works like any other boat loan but is aimed specifically at those who are only interested in buying boat motors.
Call Aussie Boat Loans on 1300 889 669 to talk about competitive outboard motor finance options. Let us help you get the power you need for the boating season!Apply online to get things started today.
What is outboard motor finance?
Outboard motor finance is a type of loan that lets borrowers finance their boat motor purchases. With this loan, you can buy the outboard motor you need as soon as possible.
How do I know if my boat needs an outboard upgrade?
Your boat may need an outboard upgrade if the current motor is past its prime. Most outboard motors last seven to eight years depending on the use. You may also opt for an outboard upgrade if you’re not getting the speeds that you want or if you want to use new technology that’s not compatible with your current motor.
Should I stick with the same engine brand or explore new options during the upgrade?
When looking for an outboard motor upgrade, you don’t have to limit yourself to the same brand. Check out your options to see which outboard motor best suits your needs.
Switching outboard brands usually isn’t an issue. You may have to install some new controls and instruments to match the outboard, but you may have to do this anyway regardless of the brand.
Can I install multiple outboard motors on my boat for better performance?
Having more than one outboard motor may provide better horsepower, however, it’s not always a guarantee. Depending on the weight of the outboard motors, it may weigh you down rather than give you more speed. Plus, it’s not the most fuel-efficient solution out there.
Other ways to improve boat performance are looking at the propeller and upgrading your system in general.
How can upgrading instruments improve the outboard's performance?
Good boat instruments can improve the safety of your boating experience. This includes improving outboard performance because you’ll have the appropriate tools for peak performance.
How can I get started with outboard motor finance?
You can get a quick quote or apply for pre-approval at Aussie Boat Loans. With a pre-approved loan, you’ll have a clear idea of how much you can borrow. This will help you shop around with confidence and find an outboard motor that fits your needs and budget.
What are the benefits of repowering my boat with a new outboard motor?
With a new outboard motor, you may get better fuel efficiency, more horsepower, and better handling depending on your previous outboard motor.
Can I finance other upgrades or modifications to my boat along with the outboard motor upgrade?
It depends on the approval and policies of your lender. If you have money left over on your loan, you may use the rest for upgrades or modifications to your boat. However, some lenders are stricter and may only allow the purchase of the outboard motor using your loan.
Are there any tax benefits or incentives associated with repowering my boat?
If you trade in your engines to a dealer, you may see some sales-tax benefits.
Can I upgrade my boat's outboard motor myself, or do I need a professional?
It’s advisable to get a professional to upgrade your outboard motor. A professional can advise you on how to properly use and maintain your upgraded outboard motor, as well.